Did you know?
There is an electronic motor in your vehicle’s fuel tank to pump fuel for the ignition.
Can you imagine the tech level used to design the motor assembly that remains cool using fuel itself and never catches fire?
Similarly, there are various car facts that you never heard in your life. Before heading to the list of interesting car facts, let’s understand cars in brief.
A car, also known as an automobile, or a motored vehicle, is a means of transportation. It rubs on 4 wheels (more in the case of modified cars) and sits from 2 to 8 people, depending on the car body type.
Cars became global and widely available during the 20th century. At that time, Ford Model T was the only car available to the masses, and since then automobile market has been rising and innovating.
Wait! You seem like an avid automotive reader to me! Well, we all love automobiles. That said, let’s check this awesome list of car facts.
|Skip to Facts:|
|Funny Car Facts|
|Rolls Royce Facts|
|Land Rover Facts|
List Of Car Facts
Below is the list of interesting facts about cars taken from all kinds of auto manufacturers – Audi, BMW, Land Rover, etc.
1. One billion+ cars are currently on roads in the world.
2. 1 out of 3 cars produced in the world comes from China.
3. 75% of all cars produced by Rolls Royce Motors are still on the road, and the rest are antique pieces.
4. 95% of a car’s lifetime is spent parked worldwide.
5. A car airbag inflates within 40 milliseconds of a crash.
6. China is the world’s largest electric car market.
Also Read: Electric Cars Facts
7. A modern car has an average 30k spare parts.
8. Air Bags became a critical car safety option or measurement in 1974.
9. Alcohol is a no. 1 factor in about one-half of all fatal car collisions in the USA.
10. Approximately, automobile plants produce 1.65 lac cars every day.
11. At 186.269 km/h, Vesa Kivimäki achieved the fastest side wheelie in a car.
Vesa used a diesel BMW 330 fitted with Nokian tyres.
12. Australia is the world’s largest lithium producer, a high demand fuel for electric cars.
13. Avis was the first to rent cars at airports.
Avis is one of the best car rental companies in the world and offers a good variety of cars with rental features.
14. Bertha Benz was the first long-distance driver in the world.
15. Bugatti Veyron is the fastest police car in service.
Also Read: Bugatti Veyron Facts
16. China is the largest car manufacturer in the world after India.
17. Did you know? The inventor of cruise control – Ralph Teetor – was blind.
18. Dubai police have the world’s fastest police car.
Also Read: Dubai police cars collection
19. Enzo Ferrari (1898-1988), a racing car driver and designer, founded the company in 1929.
20. Ferdinand Porsche (1875-1951), an automobile designer and manufacturer, started his own company in 1930.
21. Ferrari manufactures max. 14 cars/day.
22. First power windows were fitted in 1946.
23. First windshield wipers were hand-operated.
24. Ford Model T was the first car that the “average” worker could afford.
25. Global Positioning System or GPS for cars was introduced in 1995.
26. Honda Accord is the most stolen vehicle in the world
27. In 1901, the first Grand Prix race was won with an average speed of 46 mph.
28. In 1916, 55% of the cars in the world were only Model T.
29. In 1938, a modern car saw and used the first electric turn signal.
30. In 1973, Whale oil was used as a car transmission in some cars.
31. In 1992, the modern car received its first gas gauge.
32. In 2014, Tesla by Elon Musk introduced autopilot technology on their 1st mass-production Model S.
33. In Rolls Royce, Royce founded the company and Rolls promoted the car as manager.
34. In 1782, James Watt builds the first engine crank.
35. It was a 65cm (26 in) scale model that could not carry potential load or passenger.
36. John (1864-1920) and Horace (1868-1920) Dodge founded their own car company in 1914.
37. La Marquise is the oldest functioning car.
It is a steam-engine powered 4-wheel and 4-seater vehicle. La Marquise is capable of reaching a top speed of 61km/h. That’s not all, it has also won the world’s first automobile race.
38. LA’s car population is greater than people population.
39. One horse does not have one horsepower.
40. OScar is the world’s first open-source automobile.
This project aims to design an entire car using open-source principles and create blueprints using open source CAD. Markus Merz founded it in 1999.
41. Peel P50 is the slowest car in the world.
42. Porsche’s first car was pure electric
43. Silver is the most available colour in the vehicle market, followed by black, white, red, blue, and grey.
44. Six-cylinder vehicles are the most popular in the USA.
45. Some supercars come with the feature of artificial engine sound. This is designed to enjoy the artificial sound of the engine inside the cabin.
46. Tesla Model X towed Boeing Dreamliner 787-9, the heaviest weight towed by an electric car.
47. The 1st car had used a lever instead of a steering wheel.
48. The 1st working steam-powered vehicle was designed by Ferdinand Verbiest.
It was a 65cm (26 in) scale model that could not carry potential load or passenger.
49. The automobile (car, bike, truck, etc.) is the most recycled consumer product globally and a billion-dollar industry.
50. The automobile sector is one of the largest contributors to air & noise pollution.
51. The BMW group owns mini
52. The BMW group owns rolls Royce
53. The Bugatti Bolide is the most beautiful hypercar in the world.
54. The first car radio was introduced in 1924.
55. The first modern car was invented by Karl Benz.
56. The first remote adjusted or electronic side view mirror was introduced in 1958.
57. The first speeding ticket was issued in 1902.
58. The Ford F150 is programmed with over 150 million lines of code
60. Tesla Roadster is the fastest car in space.
61. The Ford Mustang first made its debut in 1964.
62. The Nash Motor was the 1st company to add 1st air conditioning system in 1939.
63. The Netherlands has the largest public charging stations in the world.
64. SSC Tuatara is the fastest road-legal production car in the world.
65. The first electric traffic lights was installed in Cleveland in 1914.
66. The first Ford cars had used Dodge engines.
67. The new car smell results from 50+ organic compounds like seat fabric, plastic, etc.
68. The spark plug was invented by Jean Lenoir in 1860.
69. The word “automobile” is a combination of the word “auto,” which means “self,” and “mobile,” which means “moving.”
70. The world’s longest car is a 26 wheeled 30.5 m (100 ft) car.
It is a 30.5 m (100 ft) long 26-wheeled limousine. This car includes a swimming pool with a diving board and a king-sized waterbed. With a price between $50 to $200 per hour, you can even rent this limousine.
71. There are 1 billion cars currently in use on the planet.
72. There are 100+ automobile manufacturers in the world.
73. Hong Kong has the most Rolls Royce owners in the world.
74. Toyota Corolla is the best-selling car in the world all-time.
75. Vehicles manufactured between 1916 to 1925 are known as “vintage” vehicles.
76. VW is the official owner of luxury and sports car manufactures like Bugatti, Lamborghini, Audi, Porsche, etc.
Also Read: Interesting Lamborghini Urus Facts
77. Walter Chrysler founded the Chrysler Corporation in 1925.
78. Waymo is a subsidiary of Google who works for automating taxi services in greater Phoenix.
79. Waymo was the first truly self-driving car designed and developed by Google.
Also Read: Google Driverless Car
80. White is the most popular car colour in the world.
81. The first armoured presidential car was a Cadillac.
82. Thrust SSC is the fastest land speed car in the world.
The record is 1,227.985 km/h (763.035 mi/h). Andy Green sets it on 15 October 1997 in the Black Rock Desert, Nevada, USA
Fun Facts About Cars
Here are some of the interesting funny car facts online:
1.More than 90% of drivers confess that they sing while driving.
2. The probability of dying in a car accident is 1/5000.
3. Already feeling sorry but an average American driver spends about 38 hours in a traffic jam.
4. Elon Musk is not the founder of Tesla Motors.
5. Sugarcane is used to produce car fuel – ethanol.
6. Women buy more new cars than men.
7. The highest vehicle mileage in the world is over 3,000,000 miles
8. Windshields used to be a Luxury item.
9. Up to 80% of the average car can be recycled.
10. Only 18% of Americans love to drive manual cars.
11. In 2013, the world’s most popular car colour was white.
Below is the list of interesting facts about Audi cars:
1. August Horch, the founder of Audi, was trained under Karl Benz
2. The meaning of Audi is “Listen”.
3. Audi four rings represent the merger of 4 companies as Auto Union – Audi, Horch, DKW and Wanderer.
4. The VW group owns Audi.
5. Audi R8 V10+ is the fastest road-legal Audi car in the world.
6. Audi “RS” racing sport is designed with a collaboration with Porsche.
7. The Quattro tech has been borrowed by the VW group, which later on became Audi’s on the USP.
8. The owner of Audi was a blacksmith.
9. Audi was the first car manufacturer to conduct crash tests.
10. Audi is 3rd best luxury car-makers in the world, after Mercedes and BMW motors.
11. On an average day, the Audi produces just 20 R8s sports cars.
12. Audi R8 series vehicles use 80% of carbon fibre and aluminium materials.
13. Audi bought the Italian supercar brand Lamborghini in 1998
Also Read: Interesting Lamborghini Facts
14. About 45.3 percent of all Audi customers opted for a Quattro technology.
15. There are 36520 stitches on the leather interiors of an Audi A8.
16. Every Audi R8 body is run through an x-ray check after production.
17. Vorsprung durch Technik is the Audi group slogan.
18. Depending on the car’s variant, Audi offers Laser, Digital Matrix, LED, HD Matrix LED & Xenon headlights.
19. Audi 100 is one of the most successful car models in the group.
20. The “RS” badge is used by Audi’s high-performance models or variants.
As of today, Audi offers RS7, RS5, RS E-Tron, RS Q8, and etc.
21. Audi was the first brand to offers LED lights.
22. At $5,000,000, 2003 Audi LeMans Concept is one of the most expensive Audi in the world.
23. Virat Kohli is the brand ambassador of Audi India.
24. E-Tron GT is the first electric sedan by the Audi group.
25. Audi R8 is examined by an X-ray process to check the strength of joints and other parts.
26. After R8, the Audi e-tron is the most aerodynamic car from the German carmaker.
27. A8 L Security is the bulletproof car by the Audi group.
The luxury car has used armoured steel, aramide fabrics, ceramics, special aluminium alloys with multi-plate glass.
Rolls Royce Facts
Here are some of the interesting facts about Rolls Royce:
1. The 1st Rolls Royce car had a 10 hp motor.
2. Rolls Royce use Bulls leather for interiors.
3. Wraith is the most powerful and fastest Rolls Royce in the world.
4. Rolls Royce wheel’s centre caps do not rotate.
5. Rolls Royce offers a training program for chauffeurs.
6. Rolls Royce has the most sensitive suspension system in the world.
7. An average Rolls Royce takes 60 pairs of hands and 400 hours to build.
Below are some of the fun & interesting facts about Tesla cars:
1. Tesla electric cars offer the largest dashboard multimedia screen.
Yes, there are a few physical buttons, and 95% of car features are controlled by a 12.3-inch LCD touch screen.
2. Elon Musk is not the funder of Tesla motors.
Eric Eberhard and Marc Tarpenning founded the company in 2003. Elon joined the Tesla board of directors by investing good capital. He became the company’s chairman and later CEO.
3. The name “Tesla” was proposed as a tribute to Nikola Tesla.
4. Tesla made a world record by developing the world’s fastest road-legal electric car.
With a top speed of 250 mph, Tesla Roadster made a world record. The electric sports car is capable of hitting 60 mph under 1.9 seconds and a quarter-mile just under 8.8 seconds.
5. Tesla cars offer a dog mode.
It’s a climate control feature designed for pets. This feature allows you to set a comfortable cabin temperature for your dogs.
6. Telsa CEO and owner “Elon Musk” one of the richest people on the planet earth
7. Tesla Model S and sports car Ford GT has an almost equal centre of gravity.
8. After Ford motors, Tesla Motors is the 2nd oldest public listed American automobile manufacturers.
Seeing the size and history of Ford, Tesla made this really quick, just like their cars.
9. Tesla Model S offers the best cargo space in its class – 31.6 cubic feet.
10. Tesla Motors uses a lithium-ion battery to power their cars.
Basically, it is the same battery that you see in your laptop or mobile – lithium-ion 18650. However, there are hundreds of them.
11. Tesla Model S offers lowest drag coefficient in any production car.
12. Tesla Model S comes with the largest panoramic sunroof in its segment or any production car.
13. Tesla has the world’s largest charging station network.
Below is the list of interesting facts about BMW cars
1. BMW started with manufacturing plane engines.
2. BMW stands for Bayerische Motoren Werke, also translates as Bavarian Motor Works.
3. BMW was established in 1916 and operating for 105 years.
4. BMW R 32 was the first motorcycle.
5. BMW 501 was the first post-war BMW car.
BMW 501 uses a 6-cylinder engine and holds a seating capacity up to 6-people.
6. The BMW logo represents Bavaria.
7. BMW group owns Mini & Rolls Royce vehicles.
8. BMW’s first car was the Dixi.
9. The BMW headquarters is designed in the shape of 4 cylinders.
10. The famous signature grille is called Kidney Grille.
11. BMW still manufactures their classic car parts.
12. //M, also known as BMW M, is their performance car division.
13. The BMW has a famous slogan – “The Ultimate Driving Machine”. The brand has used this in different commercials.
14. The automaker has designed and manufactured the fastest motorcycle in the world. It has a top speed of 173.7 mph.
15. BMW M5 is the fastest BMW model in the world.
Land Rover Facts
Below given are some famous Range Rover facts you never heard in your life:
1. First Land Rovers were designed with a steering wheel in the middle of the dashboard.
2. Charles S. King designed the initial modern Range Rover SUV.
3. The world’s first monster truck was created by Land Rover.
4. It was an SUV fitted with tractor tires and big axles.
5. As Tata Motors, Land Rover SUVs has been used by various militaries and police departments globally.
6. The first Land Rover was called the Road Rover.
7. Tata Motors, an Indian automobile manufacturer, owns land Rover brand.
8. Land Rover featured a special Defender James Bone Edition in “No Time To Die” movie.
NO TIME TO DIE | Range Rover Sport SVRGo off-road with the Range Rover Sport SVR in this behind-the-scenes look at NO TIME TO DIE.
This special edition SUV is limited to 300 units. It got SV Bespoke detailing, 22-inch wheels, 007 tailgate badge, projected logo, 007 tredplates, etc.
9. New Defender is the Land Rover’s toughest, roughest and most capable SUV ever.
10. Darjiling is also known as Land of Land Rover. It is the only state running 50+ years old Land Rovers.
11. The British family has been associated with Land Rover since 1948.
12. The Land Rover limited edition Holand & Holand is one of the most expensive SUVs.
13. Land Rover has a floating version of the defender SUV.
14. Land Rover created an SVX concept vehicle for the James Bond Spectre film.
15.. The Defender is one of the safest SUVs on the road.
16. The Land Rover has the most capable off-roading capabilities in the world.
17. Maurice Wilks was accountable for innovation as Land Rover’s first innovator.
18. Range Rover Sport SVR is the fastest and most capable SUV from Land Rover.
19. The SUV offers exceptional on and off-road performance with all kinds of terrain capabilities.
Source: Tesla, BMW, Land Rover, Tesla
Image Source: Image owned by automakers. Edited using Canva.