Do you travel often? Looking for the best car rental company is an obvious task on your to-do list.
No doubt, there are tons of car rental companies in the USA, Canada or globally, but only a few provide the best cars, services and offers. Don’t worry, I got you covered. After analysing 20+ brands, car ranges, services, and quality of consumer experience, I’ve curated the list of best car rental company for 2021.
Following car rental companies rankings/numbering are based on the J. D. customer satisfaction report, car classes and a number of features. Let’s get going!
Table of content
List Of Best Car Rental Companies In 2021
1. Hertz Car Rental
Price starts: $30*/day
Google Play Store app score: 4.3* out of 5
Hertz earlier known as Rent-a-Car, is the largest and top scorer car rental company (853/1000). According to J. D. Power, Hertz corporation ranks highest in overall consumer satisfaction. Currently, the company operates from more than 150+ countries/regions.
Hertz collections offer a wide range of vehicle classes. You can pick chose among Sedans, Convertibles, Electric and more.
- Family Collection: Large size SUVs/MUVs to meet your family requirements
- Adrenaline Collection: Most popular muscle cars that you can enjoy with your friends and loved ones
- Fun Collection: Small hatchbacks with peppy engines
- Green Collection: Drive smart in highly fuel-efficient electric/hybrid cars
- Prestige Collection: Look sharp in luxurious SUVs & Sedans
- Dream Collection: Experience some of the fastest cars in the world & get the thrill of driving
Whether you are travelling for business, with family or just want to try your dream car, Hertz has offerings for each type.
Not just that, the company offers some special cars. To attract more customers, Hertz offers some for high-performance rare cars like GT350H Mustangs, Corvettes, Jaguar XK-Es, Ford Mustang G.T.
Except for the plethora of vehicles, Hertz offers Connect+ – a unique feature that offers unlimited Wi-Fi & hotspot (you can connect up to 5 devices), free calls worldwide, local discounts, ticket, and other features.
You can also pick Hertz Gold Plus Rewards to skip the line for faster checkouts, free additional driver, and special discounts. Not just that, Hertz also offers “NeverLost” GPS feature – a fleet-wide feature. It is more than a physical device that will give provide you travel guides, city guides, discounts and much more.
Need a chauffeur? Don’t worry, Hertz offers that too. The brand offers an exclusive range of cars with professionally trained drivers to provide you the smoothest riding experience.
In term of online reputation, the company has received many awards:
- TTG Travel Hall of Fame Awards (Best Car Rental)
- Hertz Wins FlyerTalk Award for Best Rewards Program Worldwide
- Hertz New Zealand Voted Most Trusted Car Rental Company Two Years In A Row
Hertz France wins Best Car Rental Society, and Italy wins the TripAdvisor Travelers’ Favourites award
- Best Car Rental Company by Global Traveler
- Women’s Choice Award® for America’s Most Recommended™ Car Rental Services
& many more.
2. Enterprise Car Rental
Price starts: $33*/day
Google Play Store app score: 4.7* out of 5
After Hertz, Enterprise is the second oldest & biggest car rental company in the world. Earlier Enterprise is known for Executive Leasing; the company was founded by Jack C. Taylor in 1957. The Enterprise is currently headquartered in Missouri, United States and operates more than 7,000 branches/office in 97+ countries.
According to J.D. Power consumer report, Enterprise has scored 849 out of 1000 points, making it 2nd best-claimed company in car rental space. Like other rivals, the company also deals in oversees commercial fleet management, pre-owned car sales, and truck rentals too.
Coming to vehicles range, the Enterprise has divided their fleet into cars (4-5 passengers with 2-4 bags), SUVs (4-7 passengers with 2-5 bags), trucks (4 passengers with 2-4 bags), vans (2-15 passengers with 1-5 bags), and luxury cars (4-8 passengers with 2-7 bags).
Like Hertz, the Enterprise offers an extensive range of exotic car collection. This range offers:
- Standard Elite: Audi Q3, Infiniti QX30, etc.
- Super Sports: Audi R8, Mercedes AMG GT Roadster, Bentley Continental, etc.
- Large Executive Luxury SUV: Cadillac Escalade ESV, Land Rover Range Rover HSE and Mercedes Benz G Class
- Luxury Convertible: BMW 430i Convertible, Mercedes Benz SLC 300
- Luxury Elite SUV: Audi Q7, Jaguar F Pace, Mercedes Benz GLE 350
- Fullsize Elite Sedan: BMW 328i, BMW 430i, Volvo S60 and Jaguar X.E.
- Luxury SUV: Cadillac Escalade, Lincoln Navigator
- Luxury Performance Sport: Porsche 911 Carrera, Porsche 911 Carrera Convertible
- Luxury Sport: Jaguar F-Type Convertible, Porsche Cayman, Mercedes Benz GLE400
- Performance Sports: G.M. Corvette Convertible, Mercedes Benz E400 Cabriolet
- Premium Elite: Audi A6, BMW 530i, Mercedes Benz E350
- Premium Elite SUV: Land Rover Discovery Sport, Audi Q5
- Luxury Elite Electric: Tesla Model S or Jaguar I-Pace
- Muscle Car: Ford Mustang G.T. Convertible, Chevy Camaro
- Executive Luxury Sedan: Audi A7, Jaguar X.J. or similar
- Large Executive Luxury Sedan: BMW 740i, Tesla Model S
- Executive Luxury SUV: Land Rover Range Rover Sport, Porsche Cayenne
- Exotic Sport: Infiniti Q60, BMW 4-Series, Lexus RC 350
Compared to Hertz, the average price of car rental in Enterprise is a bit high. I loved Enterprise’s Commute feature. It connects co-workers living in a nearby location and gives an appropriate vehicle. Not just it helps in reducing pollution from roads but helps in saving your money in fuel.
3. Alamo Car Rental
Price starts: $19*/day (economy)
Google Play Store app score: 4.7* out of 5
Alamo is the 3rd largest car rental company and most prominent in the North American region. It was founded in Florida in 1974. In 2007, Alamo got acquired by Enterprise Holdings, which also operates other car rental brands like Enterprise & National.
Followed by Hertz & Enterprise, Alamo scored 848 out of 1000 points in J. D. Power customer satisfaction report, making it an ideal brand to consider for your car rental.
The Alamo offers various kinds of deals and offers which you won’t find in all brands. For instance – planning a last-minute ride? Don’t worry, Alamo got you covered. Let’s see other services:
- Find a last-minute special: Rent last-minute rides for daily or weekly rentals. All services are available as good as 1-hour short notice
- Plan Ahead Car Rental: Get best rental plans and best cars for daily and weekly rentals
- One Way Car Rental: Starting at $9.99 per day, you can rent one-way car rental for locations – Miami to Key West, Los Angeles to Seattle, etc. Don’t worry about last-minute changes, you are also free for last-minute changes.
Alamo offers other rental car enhancements:
- Car Seat Rental: You can use a child booster seat for children. It is a convertible seat designed and recommended for children up to 30 pounds
- Fuel Service: You can drive until you heart say. Pick up any vehicle with a full gas tank without worrying about refilling. Alamo will take care of ore rest things
- Winter Tires: Planning to drive in snow? Alamo offers winterized vehicles that come packed with specialized winter tires and other winter kits
- Toll Pass Device: You don’t need to stand in toll queue, Alamo offer toll pass and navigate fast through toll facilities
- SiriusXM: Enjoy radio, ad-free music, movies & shows during the drive
& many more.
Unlike Hertz & Enterprise, Alamo offers a limited range of vehicles. Here is the list of car classes with few names that are currently on offer:
- Cars: Nissan March, Chevrolet Aveo, Chevrolet Matiz, Volkswagen GOL, Volkswagen Jetta and other
- SUVs: Jeep Patriot, Nissan X-Trail, Ford EcoSport, Range Rover, Kia Sorento, Chevrolet Suburban & others.
- Vans: Chrysler Town & Country, Toyota Sienna, Dodge Caravan, Renault Scenic, Ford S Max, and other
- Trucks: Toyota Hilux, Mitsubishi Triton, Fiat Toro and other
4. National Car Rental
Price starts: $9.99*/day (one-way travel)
Google Play Store app score: 4.7* out of 5
National is also a USA based car rental company. It was founded in 1947 and became one of the most reliable car rental company globally. The company started from 60 locations in the USA and now operating from 1500+ locations, making National one of the biggest car rental companies in the world.
According to J. D. Power customer satisfaction report, National Car Rental scores 845/1000, making it the 4th best car rental company. This rank was determined by factors like customer satisfaction, ease of reservation, ease of navigation, overall appearance, U.I., types of services or facilities, etc.
Coming to vehicle range, National offers a wide range of Cars, Trucks, SUVs, and Vans.
Talking of cars first, it offers 28 classes which include luxury, sports electric or whatnot. The SUV range offers 16 classes which have compact, full size, luxury, etc. In vans, you can pick from 8 classes which include minivans, cargo & passenger vans.
The most promising feature of National is “EMERALD CLUB”. It is a faster, more convenient experience every time you rent a vehicle from National Car Rental. Here are some of the best services under EMERALD CLUB:
- Emerald Aisle: Choose any vehicle on the Aisle and go in the U. S. and Canada
- Emerald Checkout: Save time at the exit booth and go faster:
- Confirm your details
- Proceed to any exit booth
- Choose a car
- Premier Selection: You can pick among high-end vehicle range at 70+ U.S. airport locations
- Emerald Reserve Service: Choose high-class luxury vehicles from reserved car class (keys in the cars). You get the freedom to make your reservation in more than 70 locations in USA and Canada. Enjoy peace of mind with different car classes – convertible, SUV, minivan, and others
- Emerald Club Counter Service: Review your form, sign your agreement, get you car keys and go
- Priority Service: Speed up your car rental process in Europe, Latin America and the Caribbean
Bypass Counter > Show personal info > Sign & Drive
That’s not all, National Car Rental also offers “EMERALD EXECUTIVE” & “EXECUTIVE ELITE”. This service is best suitable for all business travellers.