What could be better if you can design your DREAM van yourself? And that too, with no design experience required?
Sounds amazing! Isn’t?
In this blog post, I’ve covered the best 3 van design softwares to help you create and imagine your pre-conversion van.
So, how helpful are these softwares?
Van conversion comes on a bit pricey side. So, it’s better to invest and simulate your design idea first and then make real-life changes. In short – Van conversion softwares will help you to get an idea before going for actual van conversion. Usually, this is done to avoid any mistake for rebuild later. So, let’s check the list of awesome van planners and get an idea for conversions.
List Of 3 Paid & Free Van Design Softwares To Build Your Dream Adventure Vehicle
1. Vanspace 3D
Vanspace 3D is the most prominent and popular van design software in the market. The company was founded by Michelle & Will with an only focus to bring your van conversion ideas straight to the real world.
The easy to use software gives you the freedom to plan and build stunning van designs in minutes.
Like any drawing software, you need to select from a wide range of products and drop where you want to place them in your van. Depending on van size, you can easily resize, customize, and move products inside the van.
In features, you get a plethora of items.
- 100+ to-scale templates of popular van models.
- 100+ furniture and components, which are easy to customize or resize.
- Wide range of design textures and colours.
- Be it walls, floor or spacing, Vanspace 3D offers unlimited design possibilities.
- Custom floorplan of any van or bus.
- A plethora of colours & textures
- No design experience required
- Easy to use with simple drag and drop editing
- It gives a first-person view as an “in-van” perspective
- Available for both Window and Mac as a desktop app
- You can easily export designs with layout measurements
- Only paid option, there should be a trial with limited features
- No Android or iOS app
You can buy Vanspace 3D in a one-time payment of $19. This will give you unlimited access for one year and free updates with free gifts. Want it for a lifetime? You can have it by giving an additional $8. That’s not all, with each license, Vanspace is offering FREE tools.
- FREE budget tracker calculator
- $4984 van build revealed
- E-Books from a full-timer vanlifer
- Downloadable pre-designed van layout
- FREE access for the Vanspace FB community
How To Use Vanspace 3D software?
- Choose your Van type or model
There are hundreds of van templates provided by the software.
- Now drag and drop required components and place them accordingly.
As mentioned above, Vanspace 3D comes with pre-designed furniture components like beds, sofa, kitchen equipements, and even you can check mounting your RV TV.
- Customize design
You can change the size, texture, and colours of different components. This will help to imagine your final van before coming into reality.
- Take a tour
Once all ready, take a first-person 3D view. Look for hidden spaces, adjustments and move to the next step.
- Share your design
The last and final step is to download your design. Exporting your van design is pretty easy with Vanspace 3D software. You can even share a design with your friends and even hire an agency or van brand to start modifications.
2. Sketch Up
Sketch Up is another freemium camper van design software on the list. The software company behind Sketch-Up was founded by Brad Schell and Joe Esch in 1999. Later in August 2000, Sketch-Up was created as a 3D model tool for design students and professionals.
Today, Trimble Inc. owns Sketch Up and offers a free version with lots of plugins as well as extensions. You can easily download the free version in your Window or Mac system.
In terms of usability, Sketch-Up is primarily preferred in architectural, interior design and basic 3D modelling tasks. Unlike Vanspace 3D, Sketch Up doesn’t come with a pre-designed van or equipments. You need to learn Sketch Up and design your Van interiors from the beginning. Let’s check features and other functionalities of Sketch Up van conversion:
- Supports plugins and extensions to add features
- Powerful 3D modelling capabilities
- 3D visualization is superb
- Walkthrough and animation
- Offers objects and components but not as detailed as Vanspace 3D
- Excellent details and design communication
- Available on both Window and Mac
- Offers trial for 30 days
- Web-version tool is free to use
- Precise and accurate with measurements
- Developers offer varieties of 3D model viewers like VRcollab LITE, Sketch-Up viewer, Cubits, Kubity, etc. These viewers allow you to see your design using Mix Reality.
- IrisVR to check your design with mixed reality
- Not for beginners
- Complex design terms and geometry
- Free version comes with limited features.
Sketch Up 3D software is available for freemium. Depending on usage like personal or professional, it ranges from $119 to $299/year. That’s not all, you can take benefit of student plans and purchase at a lower price.
How To Use Sketch Up 3D software?
Using Sketch Up Software is a bit different compared to other campervan design software. Here’s you have to do everything from scratch. Let’s see the steps to design your camper van using Sketch Up.
- Download the software if you want everything custom or holds the knowledge of design software. If not, then you check the web version to begin the process.
- Prepare the workspace to start design. Begin with interiors as most of us want to design interiors only.
- Check for the most important tools and components in the header ribbon.
- Get familiar with essential geometric components like lines, rectangles, and circles.
- Once you are familiar with ribbon tools and geometric functions, you need to go with movements controls. You should learn to change views and tools like pan and orbits
- Make your first 3D object
- Moving and manoeuvring objects
Tinkercad is the following free and cloud-based van conversion design software you should try. The software was founded by Kai Backman and Mikko Mononen, formal Google engineers.
In May 2013, Autodesk announced the acquisition of Tinkercad Software. Like Sketch Up, Tinkercad runs on the web and provides entry-level 3D design solutions for Van or Travel Trailer design. Later on, Autodesk integrated different solutions like Electronics, Coding, AR, Etc. Below are the best features of Tinkercad 3D software:
- File Exportation
You can easily export your van designs using 1-click export functionality.
- Project Sharing
Want to share your design progress with your partner or customer? With Tinkercad, you can share your van project on the go.
- Data Protection
With Autodesk, there is an assurance of your personal as well as creative data with Tinkercad.
- Web or cloud-based software platform
- Free of cost
- Provides quick product completion
- User-friendly interface
- 35 million users community
- Excellent customer support
- It doesn’t offer specific features for Van design, you need to design everything from scratch.
- As a cloud-based tool, Tinkercad depends on the internet to work.
- Pan or zooming is sometimes complicated.
Tinkercad is free of cost 3D software tool that lets you think, design and export your van conversion design.
How To Use Tinkercad 3D Software?
Tinkercad is the most accessible software in the RV all RV design software. Just like Sketch Up, you will need to think and design your own. There are no external plugins or pre-installed sets in the tools bar. Now, let’s see how to use Tinkercad.
- Visit tool
- Place required shape on workplane. You can also use pre-existing shapes or use your own shapes.
- Adjust shapes by moving or rotating the workplane. You can take help via dimensions with a ruler.
- Once you finish adjusting shapes, you can combine them to create a meaningful design.
Hope I solved your search with these best van planner softwares. Do let me know your fav. tool down in the comment section and other good alternatives, if any.