Carpooling – When a group of people share a vehicle to travel on the same route. People usually prefer this for convenience, budget travel, and the environment.
Millions of vehicles on the roads are giving birth to carbon emissions in a large amount leading to severe diseases
And why would you want to spend a fortune every month on taxi fares only? With carpooling brands, those who don’t own a car can save a lot on fares, and those who have cars can earn some amount by offering empty seats to other passengers.
Isn’t it a win-win game?
According to research by E-Scholarshop.org, Car-pooling reduces pollution by 13 metric tonnes annually. Furthermore, you can save at least 50% daily on your fares.
So, if you are not in a hurry to be somewhere then save yourself some money, peace, and a green future.
Let’s check the list of the best carpooling apps in India – especially for professionals who commute daily in Gurgaon, Mumbai, Delhi, Bangalore, and other metro cities.
Criteria To Pick These Apps?
- All brands are operational and well-trusted.
- Well-known brand in metro cities.
- No complaints so far – especially for the Carpool segment.
Benefits of Carpooling
- Cost savings: Sharing the cost of fuel and tolls reduces transportation expenses.
- Reduced traffic congestion: Carpooling decreases the number of vehicles on the road, easing traffic flow and reducing travel time. As States like Delhi, Mumbai & Bangalore – This helps to reduce vehicles from roads.
- Environmental sustainability: Fewer cars mean lower emissions, leading to cleaner air and a healthier environment.
- Social connections: Carpooling allows for social interaction and the potential to build new relationships during the shared journey. I meet many people from my professional field like Marketing, Bloggers, etc.
- Reduced parking challenges: Sharing a vehicle reduces the need for parking spaces, alleviating parking congestion.
- Efficient resource utilization: Carpooling optimizes the use of fuel and road infrastructure, promoting resource efficiency.
How Do Carpooling App Works?
- Registration: Users first need to create an account with personal details.
- Ride Request/Availability: Passengers request a ride, while drivers indicate their availability.
- Payment and Fare Splitting: Apps handle payment transactions and split fares among passengers and shows on the app.
- Matching System: App algorithms match passengers’ requirements with compatible drivers based on location, route, and timing. Once aligned, passengers receive ride details and can accept or decline.
- Communication and Coordination: Passengers and drivers communicate and coordinate through the app or call.
- Ratings and Reviews: Users can rate and provide feedback on their experience.
1. Uber Pool
Uber is one of the most-heard names when I discuss transportation in India, especially in Delhi, NCR & Bangalore regions. The app is a reliable choice for safe ride-sharing.
Earlier, they were serving only
Bangalore and Delhi in India but now you can find them in other states too. Uber is available in 10k+ cities and 600+ airports.
- The app will find your partners going on the same route within 30 seconds only. (Good job Uber!)
- You can book only one seat.
- The fare keeps changing based on traffic, location, discount, and other factors.
- No need to walk to the pickup point or walk from the drop-off points now.
- Only one piece of luggage and a personal bag is advised to be carried.
- Available in cities like Mumbai, Pune, Chennai, Kochi, etc.
- You get a wide range of vehicles.
- Get the app on Google Play or App Store.
2. Ola Share
Order an affordable ride-share with Ola Share and enjoy the convenience of optimized routes, affordable fares, and the opportunity to connect with fellow travellers along the way.
Like Uber, Ola is available in all the major cities of India like Mumbai, Delhi, Patna, Gwalior, Indore, Chennai, Hyderabad, etc.
- Get a standard AC cab within a pocket-friendly budget.
- Get flat fares and save a good amount with their Share Pass.
- You can book 2 seats (only if the pickup and drop-off locations are the same).
- You can carry two small bags or one medium bag (sizes are there on the website.)
- Get the app via Microsoft or download it from App Store or Google Play.
- Like Uber, you get a wide range of vehicles.
- You get more cabs in Ola Share compared to Uber. However, it also depends on the location.
3. BlaBla Car
BlaBla Car is a leading long-distance carpooling startup. The company was started in France and launched in India after seeing the huge potential in the city-to-city commuting gap (Interestingly, Ola and Uber have also started intercity to give competition to BlaBla Cars).
The carpooling service is available in more than 20 countries which makes this brand trustable. It operates as a trusted community marketplace, allowing individuals to share rides and split travel costs.
The platform offers users to choose their travel vehicles on profiles, ratings, and overall reviews. I’ve tried this multiple times from Delhi to Meerut and found it pretty affordable.
- It offers different vehicles/riders in your routes within an affordable range.
- Profiles, reviews, and IDs of all members are reviewed beforehand to maintain the security of all the passengers.
- You can cancel the carpool ride and you will be refunded accordingly.
- The cost can vary depending on factors like timing, distance, etc.
- It is available in cities like Pune, Chennai, Jaipur, Chandigarh, etc.
4. Carpool by Meru
Meru is one of the oldest cab services available in India. Besides its regular operations/services, it also offers Car-pooling in different metro cities.
The brand aims at providing a trustworthy and convenient ride to its customers.
- Meru also has a Meru Eve cab which is exclusively for women only.
- Meru has won various awards like The Limca Book of Records, Time Travel Awards, and others for its services.
- Similar to others, Meru also offers cashless payments for customers.
- Car owners can share their rides through the app.
5. Quick Ride
Similar to BlaBla Cars, Quick Ride helps you to find people (like-minded professionals) going on the same route. Instead of traveling alone, you can carpool or bikepool and secure a comfortable and affordable ride.
This saves you can up to 80% on fares. With their excellent service, Quick Ride has a mission to remove 1 million vehicles from the road, every day.
- You can get a car ride at the minimum possible rate.
- Live tracking and Cashless payments.
- Carpool within or outside the city with verified professionals.
- It works in cities like Hyderabad, Chennai, Delhi-NCR, Kolkata, etc.
- Offers real-time matches.
- Same company and same-gender carpool facility.
- Quick Ride is India’s largest & top-rated dedicated carpooling network.
- Similar to other startups, Quick Ride is working with a few of the biggest companies in India.
- So far, Quick Ride has shared almost 35 Million+ rides and saved 95,450 Tons of CO2.
- The brand is available in Bangalore, Hyderabad, Delhi-NCR, Chennai, Pune, Kochi, Trivandrum, Mumbai & Kolkata.
6. Ryde by Goibibo
Managed by one of the biggest travel portals in India, Goibibo offers a car share service. Goibibo Ryde makes your carpooling travel safe, secure, and budget-friendly.
If you are traveling from one city to another then you can surely make a big cut in the fare – especially during the time of traveling.
- The drivers and passengers both can check the profiles of the verified members.
- Real-time tracking of the car and bus.
- The driver and the rider both can rate each other after the ride.
- The best part is the customization of choices by the driver which includes luggage size, music, smoking, waiting time, etc.
- Passengers can opt for the seat and pick-up location while the driver can choose the fee and destination.
7. Two Go
The app was launched in 2013 and since then it has been helping commuters to travel every day. It helps daily travellers to find the perfect carpooling service for cheaper fares.
- You can share your intra-city rides with travellers on the same route.
- You will be informed about your partner up to 5 minutes before the pick-up time.
- If there are any changes in the route or time then you will be notified.
- All the important information about the co-passenger, driver, fare, route, etc. can be seen on the app.
- The app is available on Google Play and App Store both.
Orahi is a dynamic ride-sharing platform.
The most lovable feature of the app is that along with the ride-sharing option, it also helps you to locate your family members. Whether your drop-off location is a school or company, Orahi is reliable for it.
- You can arrange rides with your friends, neighbours, and co-workers.
- One can make multiple groups and use the chat feature to communicate.
- Live web dashboard and visual analytical reports on the app.
- The Gurugram-based startup has received multiple awards like Super Startup Award 2017, and DIPPT with 300+ news coverages.
- The app is available on Google Play and App Store.
9. Wunder Carpool
Wunder Carpool is a Jaipur-based platform that provides intra-city car-pooling services. The brand also helps to launch, manage and scale your vehicle sharing.
- The service is available in more than 200 cities including Bengaluru, Delhi, and Mumbai.
- The chat group and notifications can be found in the app.
- 40M+ rides shared so far.
- Over 40M rides shared.
- Brand also provides vehicle-sharing softwares too.
Like other brands, Zify connects commuters heading in the same direction. It allows individuals to share rides and split travel costs, providing an affordable and sustainable transportation option.
Users can sign up on the Zify app, input their starting point and destination, and the app matches them with available drivers or passengers traveling along a similar route.
Zify aims to reduce traffic congestion, lower carbon emissions, and promote social connections among users.
- Zify ensures safety and reliability by verifying user profiles.
- Users can choose preferred travel times and schedule rides in advance.
- It offers convenient digital payment methods for hassle-free transactions.
- Zify encourages loyalty and regular usage.
- The brand offers carpooling programs for companies to promote sustainable commuting.
- Zify has emergency ride assurance for any emergency or unforeseen circumstances.
What is a carpooling app?
A carpooling app is a platform that connects passengers and drivers for sharing rides in a coordinated and convenient manner.
How does a carpooling app work in India?
A carpooling app works by allowing passengers to request rides and drivers to offer available seats. The system matches passengers with compatible drivers based on factors such as location, route, and timing preferences.
What are the benefits of using a carpooling app?
Some benefits include cost savings, reduced traffic congestion, environmental sustainability, social connections, and optimized resource utilization.
Are carpooling apps safe in India?
All Carpooling apps in India incorporate safety measures such as verified user profiles, driver background checks, and user reviews to ensure a secure and comfortable experience for all participants.
Can I choose my fellow passengers when using a carpooling app in India?
Generally, a system or algorithm matches passengers and drivers based on compatibility factors such as location, route, and timing. However, the specific ability to choose fellow passengers may vary depending on the app and its features.
Can I use a carpooling app in India for both daily commutes and long-distance travel?
Yes, carpooling apps cater to both daily commutes and long-distance travel needs, providing flexibility and convenience for users in different scenarios.
Can I track the location of my ride in real time?
Yes, carpooling apps often provide real-time tracking features, allowing passengers to track the location of their ride and get updates on estimated arrival time.